The plan applied to the Allied land, Air and Naval Forces in the South West Pacific Area theatre and the US Army forces in the Far East. The plan consisted of two parts, an offensive and defensive plan.
The use of toxics
was only to be initiated on the direct orders, Commander-in-Chief (General
MacArthur) of South West Pacific Area. Upon receipt of orders for the use of
chemicals an immediate punitive attack by air, with the maximum weight of
mustard gas bombs, against the most critical enemy objectives (which in February
1943 was furnished by harbour installations, warehouses and aviation
installations at Rabaul, Papua New Guinea). Chemical munitions were to be moved
into forward areas for action by ground troops. Aviation missions were to be
undertaken from the Advance Chemical Depot, Aviation at Charters Towers (United
The defensive plan
against chemical attack called for the following. The period prior to the
opening of chemical warfare was to be devoted to improving the supply status and
attainment of proficiency in the employment of defensive means and methods for
individual and collective protection (masks/respirators, protective clothing,
decontamination supplies, ointment and gas detectors etc), first aid, medical
treatment of gas casualties, and in developing effective chemical intelligence.
The defensive plan also provided for defensive training. Training of unit gas offices and gas non-commissioned officers in all defensive measures and first-aid was needed. It was recognised that education concerning chemical agents was a primary essential in protection against them.